Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bridgeness Tower Windmill General View from SE

SC 613024

Description Bridgeness Tower Windmill General View from SE

Date 4/4/1969

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 613024

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Bridgeness Tower Windmill, Falkirk This structure was originally built in 1750 by William Cadell to house a wind-driven pump used to drain coal seams in the vicinity, one of a number of windmills built in Scotland for mine drainage. It was supplanted by steam engine-driven pumps, and was later converted into a house. This shows the building from the north-east, with the tower situated on a knoll, to give the greatest force to the wind. The stair-tower and battlements were part of the house conversion. As can be seen from the condition of the roof of the outhouse, the building was decaying in 1968. This building is the last surviving example of a coal mine drainage pumping windmill, and thus of considerable importance. Since 1968 it has been returned to use as a dwelling house. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H69/511/1A


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) Papers of John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland

> Item Level (SC 613024) Bridgeness Tower Windmill General View from SE

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions