Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bridgeness Tower Windmill General View from NE

SC 613023

Description Bridgeness Tower Windmill General View from NE

Date 4/4/1969

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 613023

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Bridgeness Tower Windmill, Falkirk This structure was originally built in 1750 by William Cadell to house a wind-driven pump used to drain coal seams in the vicinity, one of a number of windmills built in Scotland for mine drainage. It was supplanted by steam engine-driven pumps, and was later converted into a house. This shows the building from the north. The stair-tower and battlements were part of the house conversion. As can be seen in this photograph, the tower is on a knoll, to give the greatest force to the wind. The building was disused and decaying in 1968. This building is the last surviving example of a coal mine drainage pumping windmill, and thus of considerable importance. Since 1968 it has been returned to use as a dwelling house. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H69/510/2D

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/613023

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) Papers of John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland

> Item Level (SC 613023) Bridgeness Tower Windmill General View from NE

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions