Scheduled Maintenance
Please be advised that this website will undergo scheduled maintenance on the following dates: •
Tuesday 3rd December 11:00-15:00
During these times, some services may be temporarily unavailable. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
Glasgow, West George Street, Queen Street Station View of frontage
SC 605163
Description Glasgow, West George Street, Queen Street Station View of frontage
Date 1968
Collection Papers of Professor John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland
Catalogue Number SC 605163
Category On-line Digital Images
Scope and Content Queen Street Station, Dundas Street Entrance, Glasgow This station was opened in 1842 by the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway, with a large train shed. A former church and some other existing buildings were incorporated. In 1855-6 a new carriage entrance was built in Dundas Street. The train shed was replaced in 1880, and the 1855-6 buildings were demolished in 1968. This shows the Dundas Street frontage of the 1855-6 block from the north-west. Note that a shop had been inserted in the two northern arches, in about 1960, when the interior was remodelled. The former church is on the right. The building had a central area for carriages, used by taxis until the 1950s, with side and rear pavements for pedestrians. It was demolished in 1968, and replaced by the present entrance and booking offices. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
External Reference H68/418/2A
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/605163
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume
Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]