Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior. General view of entrance hall.

AB 916

Description Interior. General view of entrance hall.

Date 12/1966

Catalogue Number AB 916

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 680355

Scope and Content General view of the entrance hall, Norwood, Garthdee Road, Aberdeen Norwood was built on the site of the 15th century Pitfodels Castle in 1859. It was remodelled in 1881 by J. Russell Mackenzie. The house was converted in 1972 by architects M F Beattie and W Cowie, and is now known as the Norwood Hall Hotel. This photograph shows the entrance hall of the house with its mosaic floor, carved consoles, panelling, coffered ceiling and stained glass. The walls and ceiling are covered in Anaglypta wallpaper intended to give the effect of stamped Spanish leather. This entrance hall ran the length of the house, and was also used as a lounge area. It forms part of a lavish scheme of interior decoration. The Victorians loved highly decorated surfaces, and enjoyed showing their wealth and taste in this way. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions