Glasgow, St. Enoch Station View from NE showing ESE front of hotel with ESE front of station in background
SC 588679
Description Glasgow, St. Enoch Station View from NE showing ESE front of hotel with ESE front of station in background
Date 6/1966
Collection Papers of Professor John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland
Catalogue Number SC 588679
Category On-line Digital Images
Scope and Content St Enoch Station from Dunlop Street, Glasgow (City of Glasgow council area) St Enoch was built as the city centre terminus for the Glasgow and south Western Railway and its English partner the Midland Railway. It was extended to the south in 1898-1902. Both sections had overall arched roofs. In this view the earlier roof is nearer to the camera. It was designed by Sir John Fowler and James F Blair, and built by A Handyside of Derby. The other roof was designed by William Melville, the railway company's civil engineer. The station closed in 1966, and the site, with its overall roofs, was used as a car park for a number of years before it was demolished and replaced by a shopping centre. The rubble was used to fill in the former Queen's Dock at Stobcross. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
External Reference H66/35/2D
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/588679
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © Copyright: HES (Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume)
Licence Type: Permission Required
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]