Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mull of Kintyre Lighthouse View from parapet; detail of railing and view of keeper's houses

SC 572774

Description Mull of Kintyre Lighthouse View from parapet; detail of railing and view of keeper's houses

Date 1980

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 572774

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Mull of Kintyre Lighthouse, Argyll (Argyll and Bute council area) This lighthouse was one of the first to be established by the Northern Lighthouse Board, but was rebuilt in 1821 to designs by Robert Stevenson. A new lantern and optical apparatus were installed in 1906. This view shows part of Robert Stevenson's cast iron gallery railing of 1821. Note that the ironwork is designed to resemble basketwork, and indeed in the lighthouse service such galleries are called baskets. This light was built on a cliff top, hence the short tower. It marks the southern tip of the Kintyre peninsula, and the entrance to the Firth of Clyde from the Atlantic Ocean. The lighthouse has been automated since 1980. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H80/79/11

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/572774

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 572774) Mull of Kintyre Lighthouse View from parapet; detail of railing and view of keeper's houses

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions