Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mull of Kintyre Lighthouse; Interior View of lamps

SC 572773

Description Mull of Kintyre Lighthouse; Interior View of lamps

Date 1980

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 572773

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Mull of Kintyre Lighthouse, Argyll (Argyll and Bute council area) This lighthouse was one of the first to be established by the Northern Lighthouse Board, but was rebuilt in 1821 to designs by Robert Stevenson. A new lantern and optical apparatus were installed in 1906. This view shows part of the lens system of the optical apparatus. The curved glass prisms collect as much of the light from the bulb as possible to send it out into the night. The 3.1 million candle-power electric lamps are on the left. One is a spare. This light was built on a cliff top, hence the short tower. It marks the southern tip of the Kintyre peninsula, and the entrance to the Firth of Clyde from the Atlantic Ocean. The lighthouse has been automated since 1980. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H80/79/10

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/572773

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 572773) Mull of Kintyre Lighthouse; Interior View of lamps

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions