Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mull of Kintyre Lighthouse General view of lighthouse complex

SC 572770

Description Mull of Kintyre Lighthouse General view of lighthouse complex

Date 1980

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 572770

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Mull of Kintyre Lighthouse, Argyll (Argyll and Bute council area) This lighthouse was one of the first to be established by the Northern Lighthouse Board, but was rebuilt in 1821 to designs by Robert Stevenson. A new lantern and optical apparatus were installed in 1906. This view shows the short 1821 tower, with its corbelled gallery and original cast iron railings. Th lantern is the 1906 one, with three tiers of triangular panes. The flat-roofed keepers' houses and engine room are probably of the late 19th century. This light was built on a cliff top, hence the short tower. It marks the southern tip of the Kintyre peninsula, and the entrance to the Firth of Clyde from the Atlantic Ocean. The lighthouse has been automated since 1980. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H80/79/7

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/572770

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 572770) Mull of Kintyre Lighthouse General view of lighthouse complex

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions