Knockdhu Distillery, Filling Store; Interior General View
SC 572611
Description Knockdhu Distillery, Filling Store; Interior General View
Date 9/5/1980
Collection Papers of Professor John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland
Catalogue Number SC 572611
Category On-line Digital Images
Scope and Content Knockdhu Distillery, Knock, Banffshire (Moray council area) This distillery was built in 1893-4 by Haigs, by then part of The Distillers' Co Ltd, at the start of the 1890s whisky boom. It was the first malt whisky distillery owned by the DCL, which eventually dominated the pot still trade. This view shows the filling store, with the oak spirit receiver, filled from the intermediate spirit receiver in the stillhouse, from which spirit was run into oak casks for maturation. The hoses and nozzles for filling are in front of the receiver. This filling store was of the traditional type, where the quantity of spirit in each cask was determined by weighing the cask empty then full. The distillery was closed in 1983, but sold to Inver House Distillers and reopened in 1989. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
External Reference H80/67/15
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/572611
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © Copyright: HES (Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume)
Licence Type: Permission Required
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]