Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Photographic copy of engraving of a view into the well, with and inset vignette showing a maiden approaching the well entrance. Insc: 'St. Margaret's Well, Restalrig'

SC 572480

Description Photographic copy of engraving of a view into the well, with and inset vignette showing a maiden approaching the well entrance. Insc: 'St. Margaret's Well, Restalrig'

Date 1847

Catalogue Number SC 572480

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of EDD 22/7 P

Scope and Content Sketch of the interior of St Margaret's Well (formerly Restalrig Well), Holyrood Park, Edinburgh St Margaret's Well lies at the foot of Arthur's Seat, set into a grassy bank at the foot of the hill. This late medieval well-house was moved to Holyrood Park from Restalrig in 1855, and rebuilt over an existing spring known as St David's. The interior has a round pillar rising out of the centre of the cistern, supporting a rib-vaulted ceiling decorated with ornamental bosses. The water escapes through a spout in the mouth of a grotesque mask on the pillar. St Margaret's Well was originally sited at Restalrig. Its pleasant rural setting was completely spoiled in 1850 when the North British Railway Company built extensive workshops nearby, and the well-house was moved, stone by stone, to its present site. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/572480

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions