Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Photographic copy of a view into the well/Chapel, showing the carved face of the well mouth within. Sepia ink on paper.

SC 572472

Description Photographic copy of a view into the well/Chapel, showing the carved face of the well mouth within. Sepia ink on paper.

Date c. 1819

Catalogue Number SC 572472

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of EDD 209/4 P

Scope and Content Early 19th-century drawing of St Triduana's Chapel, Restalrig, Edinburgh St Triduana's Chapel, dating from the 15th century, stands at the south-west corner of ancient parish church of Restalrig. The chapel was dedicated to the obscure St Triduana, who acquired a reputation for curing eye complaints. The chapel, originally on two levels, was entered by a door in the north-west face. The upper level, destroyed during the Reformation, was used as a chapel, and the lower vaulted area, covered by an earthen mound until 1907, may have contained a well. The cult of St Triduana at Restalrig is supposed to have involved healing waters, and it is possible that they flowed from a well in the lower chamber. The blind journeyed from all parts of the country to 'mend their ene' in the special waters. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/572472

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions