Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Saddell Castle View from north-west

SC 565805

Description Saddell Castle View from north-west

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 565805

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 481

Scope and Content View of tower-house and courtyard of Saddell Castle from north-west, Argyll and Bute Saddell Castle was built in 1508-10 by David Hamilton, Bishop of Argyll. It was attacked in 1558 but the extent of the damage is unknown. In 1650 much of it was repaired. It was restored in the 19th century and again in the 1970s. To the left is the tower-house and to the right is the gateway and part of the wall of the court of offices. The wall is decorated with slits and a circular opening, or oculus. It has a crenellated pediment, reflecting that of the tower-house. In the 1770s a Campbell laird of Glensaddell built the existing court of offices including this north-west range. He used stones from the nearby ruins of the Cistercian Saddell Abbey, which caused much resentment among the local inhabitants. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/565805

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions