Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Saddell Castle General view from south-east

SC 565416

Description Saddell Castle General view from south-east

Date 1964

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 565416

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 491

Scope and Content View of Saddell Castle and outbuildings from the south-east, Argyll and Bute Saddell Castle was built in 1508-10 by David Hamilton, Bishop of Argyll. It was attacked in 1558 but the extent of the damage is unknown. In 1650 much of it was repaired. It was restored in the 19th century and again in the 1970s. The castle is an oblong-plan tower-house of four storeys and has a crowstepped gabled garret. It has a crenellated parapet projecting from a course of individual corbels, or projecting blocks of stone. There is an open turret at each corner. The wall to the left of the castle is the stable which dates to the 18th century. The building which projects at the far left is the byre, dating to the 19th century and possibly later. The wall leading up to the byre also dates to the 19th century. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/565416

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions