Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Saddell Castle Detail of parapet on north side of tower-house

SC 565413

Description Saddell Castle Detail of parapet on north side of tower-house

Date 1964

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 565413

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 486

Scope and Content Detail of tower-house parapet at Saddell Castle, Argyll and Bute Saddell Castle was built in 1508-10 by David Hamilton, Bishop of Argyll. It was attacked in 1558 but the extent of the damage is unknown. In 1650 much of it was repaired. It was restored in the 19th century and again in the 1970s. The castle has a crenellated parapet projecting from a single course of individual corbels, or projecting blocks of stone. There is a second course of corbels underneath which is not load-bearing and may have been designed for decorative effect. The parapet has open turrets, or rounds, at each corner and one in the middle of the west wall. The rounds are supported on three corbel courses and each round has an opening through which missiles can be dropped. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/565413

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions