Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Detail of carved musician on East side of main entrance doorway, Dunderave Castle.

SC 561267

Description Detail of carved musician on East side of main entrance doorway, Dunderave Castle.

Date c. 1980

Catalogue Number SC 561267

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 22

Scope and Content Detail of carved musician to east of main entrance doorway of Dunderave Castle, Argyll and Bute Dunderave Castle, dating to the late 16th century, was a four-storeyed L-plan tower. Occupied until the early 19th century, it then became a roofless shell. In 1911-12 it was restored and extended by Sir Robert Lorimer for Sir Andrew northoble of Ardkinglas. This carved figure of a musician, to the right of the original doorway, has a ruff around his neck and is wearing a cloak. He has goat-like legs and is playing a large vertically-set wind instrument with a conical end. He has a horn slung at his waist. This panel has probably been reused. Stylistically, it is linked to buildings of an earlier period, such as Blairquhan House in Ayrshire, dating to the 1570s or early 1580s. Dunderave was erected by John MacNaughton, or his father, around 1598. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/561267

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions