Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Detail of main panel of tomb to James Borthwick dated 1676.

SC 560159

Description Detail of main panel of tomb to James Borthwick dated 1676.

Catalogue Number SC 560159

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 4297/18

Scope and Content Detail of a mural monument commemorating James Borthwick, Greyfriars burial ground, Edinburgh This mural monument commemorates James Borthwick of Stow, a surgeon and apothecary, who died in 1676. The Latin inscription (now missing) records that his son erected this monument to his eminent father. Suspended on ribbons in the border panels are a variety of instruments which a physician of the 17th century would have used. In the main panel is the King of Terrors, armed with the scythe of Father Time. The emblems beneath signify death and mortality. The 16th-century church and churchyard of Greyfriars takes its name from a Franciscan friary which stood at the east of the Grassmarket until 1558. In 1562, Greyfriars became the Burgh burial-ground in a Crown grant made by Mary Queen of Scots. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/560159

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions