Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Knockdow House General view of south elevation

SC 559141

Description Knockdow House General view of south elevation

Collection Records of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), Edinbu

Catalogue Number SC 559141

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 17496

Scope and Content View of Knockdow House from the south, Argyll and Bute The estate of Kilmichael was acquired in 1753 by Colin Lamont and became the seat of the Lamont family until 1949. The name Knockdow was not used for the mansion until the second quarter of the 19th century. The original house was probably built just before 1765. The Greenock mason, John Menelaws, was described then as 'mason at Kirkmichael in Nether Coull'. The original five-bayed rectangular block is in the centre. It originally had a rear stair-tower. Around 1817, bow-fronted side wings were added, originally single-storeyed. In 1850 a two-storeyed library was added (left) along with a conical-roofed stair-tower, now crenellated. The side wings were later extended and heightened to form two storeys. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/559141

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions