Pricing Change
New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered.
Minard House (Castle). General view from North-East showing gallery and chapel.
SC 559080
Description Minard House (Castle). General view from North-East showing gallery and chapel.
Collection Records of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), Edinbu
Catalogue Number SC 559080
Category On-line Digital Images
Copy of B 5861
Scope and Content View of Minard Castle from the north-east, Argyll and Bute In 1784 Archibald Campbell (1693-1790) had a plain Georgian house, known as Knockbuy, built. In 1842, the estate was sold to H W Askew. He employed the architect, John Thomas Rochead (1814-78), to alter and extend the house, renaming it Minard Castle. In the centre is the single-storeyed gallery range of the principal front. The two-storeyed square turret, to the right, is the chapel. To the left is the arched entrance to the two-storeyed porte-cochère plus another two-storeyed turret. John Thomas Rochead worked on Minard Castle between 1842 and 1848 and was responsible for changing a Palladian house into a Gothic mansion. Rochead had been a pupil of David Bryce and had worked with David Hamilton, setting up his own practice in 1841. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/559080
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES
Licence Type: Internally Generated
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]