Minard House (Castle). Detail of sundial.
B 5863
Description Minard House (Castle). Detail of sundial.
Date 10/11/1989
Collection Records of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), Edinbu
Catalogue Number B 5863
Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images
Copies SC 559077
Scope and Content View of sundial at Minard Castle, Argyll and Bute In 1784 Archibald Campbell (1693-1790) had a plain Georgian house, known as Knockbuy, built. In 1842, the estate was sold to H W Askew. He employed the architect, John Thomas Rochead (1814-78), to alter and extend the house, renaming it Minard Castle. This sundial, which may date to the 18th century, stands on the lawn to the south-east of Minard Castle. The shaft of the sundial is of a type known as a baluster-shaft and is decorated with carved leaves. The shaft is surmounted by an octagonal-shaped piece of stone, on which the modern dial-plate rests. The metal pin which throws the shadow onto the dial is called a gnomon. Sundials were very popular in Scotland in the 18th and 19th centuries. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/558743
Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES
Licence Type: Internally Generated
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]