Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

General view from South West of John Knox's House and Moubray House, Edinburgh.

SC 556286

Description General view from South West of John Knox's House and Moubray House, Edinburgh.

Collection H D Wyllie

Catalogue Number SC 556286

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ED 3267

Scope and Content Moubray House, High Street, Edinburgh Moubray House, originally built in 1477 for Andrew Moubray, a wealthy merchant and burgess of the city, is probably the oldest surviving house in Edinburgh. His shop was on the ground floor. The outside stair, a reminder that the ground floor was once used for shops or for keeping pigs, leads to the first floor. An internal newel-stair, containing an old ship's timber, studded with nails, leads to the floors above. Daniel Defoe, author of 'Robinson Crusoe' and editor of the 'Edinburgh Courant' in 1710, lived in Moubray House. Thought to be an English agent when the Treaty of Union was signed in 1707, Defoe was pelted with stones when he looked out of his window. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Collection Level

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (H D Wyllie Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions