Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from North East of Wireworks with railings and sign for Smith Fletcher office and warehouse

SC 556272

Description View from North East of Wireworks with railings and sign for Smith Fletcher office and warehouse

Catalogue Number SC 556272

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 4928

Scope and Content Old Assembly Close, High Street, Edinburgh Old Assembly Close, originally Little's Close, led off the High Street down to the Cowgate. The close or lane, named after its most famous resident or the activity that went on there, could be closed at night by a gate. The close was the site of the Assembly Hall where from 1720 to 1766 formal dancing assemblies in the Old Town took place. On the west side is a preparatory school built for George Heriot's Hospital School in 1839. 'The Assembly', a private association for dancing formed in 1710, had rooms in Old Assembly Close until 1766. It moved to the New Assembly Rooms in Bell's Wynd, and then, with the advent of the New Town, to the Assembly Rooms, George Street in 1787. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/556272

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions