Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Stockbridge Market, Edinburgh View of South entrance.

SC 533102

Description Stockbridge Market, Edinburgh View of South entrance.

Catalogue Number SC 533102

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ED 7279

Scope and Content South entrance to the old Stockbridge Market, St Stephen Place, off St Stephen Street, Stockbridge, Edinburgh Stockbridge Market, designed c.1825 by Archibald Scott on the model of the Liverpool Market, included stalls selling meat, poultry, fish and vegetables in the manner of a country town. It was never a great success and closed in 1906. This ornate entrance to the market, an arched gateway with Greek Doric columns at the foot of a short symmetrical approach along St Stephen's Place, is all that survives of the original building. In the early 19th century, there were few shops in the New Town, and people relied on the markets of the Old Town. The fish and meat market, below North Bridge, supplied excellent fresh local produce, as did the vegetable stalls round the Tron Kirk. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/533102

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions