Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glengarnock, Steel Works, Power Station View of No.1 turbogenerator (2.5 mW, built 1941, no.179209)

SC 529819

Description Glengarnock, Steel Works, Power Station View of No.1 turbogenerator (2.5 mW, built 1941, no.179209)

Date 18/4/1978

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 529819

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Glengarnock Iron and Steel Works, Ayrshire This complex was founded by Merry and Cunninghame as an iron smelting works in 1840. Steel manufacture began in the 1880s when a basic Bessemer plant was installed. Acid open-hearth steelmaking began in the First World War. This view shows the interior of the rolling-mill power station, built during the First World War, This is a 2.5 megawatt steam turbogenerator installed in 1941, one of a pair put in during World War II, seen from the turbine end. This was a typical works power station, but like most such it had been supplanted by drawing power from the National Grid. It had been disused for some years prior to 1978. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H78/70/8

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/529819

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 529819) Glengarnock, Steel Works, Power Station View of No.1 turbogenerator (2.5 mW, built 1941, no.179209)

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions