Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glengarnock Steel Works, Joiner's Shop; Interior View of bend test machine, made by Scriven and Co., London

SC 529761

Description Glengarnock Steel Works, Joiner's Shop; Interior View of bend test machine, made by Scriven and Co., London

Date 18/4/1978

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 529761

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Glengarnock Iron and Steel Works, Ayrshire This complex was founded by Merry and Cunninghame as an iron smelting works in 1840. Steel manufacture began in the 1880s when a basic Bessemer plant was installed. Acid open-hearth steelmaking began in the First World War. This view shows a bend testing machine in the testing shop. This shop was established in 1916 to test steel made for shell manufacture. This machine was made by Scriven and Co, Leeds. The other end was used for cutting samples. The works closed in 1978 and was dismantled. Some of the testing shop equipment was preserved, and can be seen at Summerlee Museum, Coatbridge. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H78/67/13

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/529761

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 529761) Glengarnock Steel Works, Joiner's Shop; Interior View of bend test machine, made by Scriven and Co., London

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions