Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glengarnock Steel Works View of scrap preparation gantry

SC 529706

Description Glengarnock Steel Works View of scrap preparation gantry

Date 18/4/1978

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 529706

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Glengarnock Iron and Steel Works, Ayrshire This complex was founded by Merry and Cunninghame as an iron smelting works in 1840. Steel manufacture began in the 1880s when a basic Bessemer plant was installed. Acid open-hearth steelmaking began in the First World War. This view shows the bay in which scrap steel was sorted and prepared for charging into the open hearth furnaces. The gantry supported an electric overhead crane fitted with an electromagnet to lift scrap. In open hearth steelmaking as practised at Glengarnock the furnaces were charged with a mixture of steel scrap and pig iron. The steel made at Glengarnock was latterly made into railway rails. The works closed in 1978 and has been demolished. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H78/65/10

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/529706

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 529706) Glengarnock Steel Works View of scrap preparation gantry

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions