Fochabers Bridge View looking NW showing underside of cast-iron arch
SC 519787
Description Fochabers Bridge View looking NW showing underside of cast-iron arch
Date 20/9/1977
Collection Papers of Professor John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland
Catalogue Number SC 519787
Category On-line Digital Images
Scope and Content Old Spey Bridge, Fochabers, Morayshire This was originally a four-span masonry arch bridge designed by Thomas Telford. Two of the arches were swept away in the great flood of 1829, and were temporarily replaced in timber. In 1852 a permanent cast-iron arch was constructed. This view shows the arch from below. with its four ribs. The original cross-bracing has all been replaced in steel to allow the bridge to carry heavy traffic. this bridge was bypassed in the 1960s, but retained for light traffic. The cast-iron span is the longest in Scotland. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
External Reference H77/105/16
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/519787
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © Copyright: HES (Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume)
Licence Type: Permission Required
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]