Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of pumping engine, Prestongrange Colliery, steam navvy and locomotives to right of shot.

SC 517031

Description View of pumping engine, Prestongrange Colliery, steam navvy and locomotives to right of shot.

Date 1977

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 517031

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Prestongrange Mining Museum, East Lothian This museum was established by East Lothian County Council in the mid 1970s with as its centrepiece the only surviving Cornish pumping engine in Scotland which had drained seams worked by Prestongrange Colliery. This view shows the pumping engine-house on the left, with various items of colliery railway equipment on the right. This is the back of the engine-house; the beam and pump-rods are on the other side. The engine was supplied second-hand by Harvey of Hayle to the Summerlee Iron Co in 1874. It was enlarged, and the beam strengthened, in 1895. The museum is now run as a museum of local industries by East Lothian Council. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H78/29/1

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/517031

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 517031) View of pumping engine, Prestongrange Colliery, steam navvy and locomotives to right of shot.

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions