Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Dawsholm Gasworks General view from E

SC 509406

Description Glasgow, Dawsholm Gasworks General view from E

Date 27/4/1977

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 509406

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Dawsholm Gas Works, Maryhill, Glasgow This was built by Glasgow Corporation Gas Department in 1871-2 to supply coal-gas to the north and west of the city. It was rebuilt from time to time thereafter to take advantage of changes in technology and to cope with growing demand. This view shows the works as rebuilt for the last time in the late 1960s to make gas by reforming naphtha, a light oil produced in the refining of petroleum. The reforming plant is in the centre of this view. This process had a short life, which ended when North Sea natural gas was piped into Scotland. The works has now been demolished, and housing built on the site. The gasholders, which are on a separate site, remain in use. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H77/15/6

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/509406

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 509406) Glasgow, Dawsholm Gasworks General view from E

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions