Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pitlochry, Suspension Bridge View looking NNE along deck

SC 509248

Description Pitlochry, Suspension Bridge View looking NNE along deck

Date 5/10/1976

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 509248

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Suspension footbridge, Fonab, Pitlochry, Perthshire This is a good example of a wire-rope suspension footbridge with stiffened deck. It was built in memory of Lt. Col. George Glas Sandeman of Fonab, and was opened on Empire Day 1913 by the Marchioness of Tullibardine. This view shows the bridge looking west, showing the lattice-truss sides and chequer plate base of the deck. The pylons are of riveted steel construction. This bridge replaced a ferry across the river Tummel, the ferrymen's cottages for which survive just upstream. Before the Tummel hydro-electric scheme was constructed this was the only bridge across the river for several miles in each direction. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H76/268/7

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/509248

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) Papers of Professor John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland

> Item Level (SC 509248) Pitlochry, Suspension Bridge View looking NNE along deck

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions