Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Restalrig Road South, Restalrig church, St. Triduana's well. View from entrance.

SC 498062

Description Edinburgh, Restalrig Road South, Restalrig church, St. Triduana's well. View from entrance.

Date 11/1968

Catalogue Number SC 498062

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ED 2641

Scope and Content The interior of St Margaret's Well (formerly Restalrig Well), Holyrood Park, Edinburgh St Margaret's Well lies at the foot of Arthur's Seat, set into a grassy bank at the foot of the hill. This late medieval well-house was moved to Holyrood Park from Restalrig in 1855, and rebuilt over an existing spring known as St David's. The interior, similar in plan to the 15th-century chapel of St Triduana at Restalrig, is a small hexagonal room with a pretty rib-vault carried on a round central column. The water escapes through a spout in the mouth of a grotesque mask. This well-house, at its original site at Restalrig, may have been the well to which blind pilgrims, attracted in the late Middle Ages by the cult of St Triduana and her reputation for curing eye complaints, flocked from all over the country. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/498062

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions