Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view of Huntly House and adjacent buildings from West

SC 488250

Description General view of Huntly House and adjacent buildings from West

Date 1900 to 1930

Collection Francis M Chrystal

Catalogue Number SC 488250

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ED 7086

Scope and Content Huntly House, Canongate, Edinburgh Huntly House, 'erroneously identified as the lodging of George, 6th Earl and 1st Marquis of Huntly' dates from the early 16th century. Its name may come from a later tenant, a Duchess of the Gordons of Huntly who had a flat here in the 18th century. In 1517 there were three houses side by side, united in 1570 when a new frontage was added with a triple gable. In 1647 the house was acquired by the Incorporation of Hammermen and let as flats. By the 19th century it was subject to neglect and decay. Huntly House is Edinburgh's principal city museum. It was saved from a ruinous state by the City Council in 1924, and after restoration opened as a museum in 1932. It contains a large collection illustrating many different aspects of the city's history. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/488250

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 64) Francis M Chrystal

> Item Level (SC 488250) General view of Huntly House and adjacent buildings from West

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Francis M Chrystal Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions