W lodge, view from SW
D 31616 CN
Description W lodge, view from SW
Date 13/5/1998
Collection Records of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), Edinbu
Catalogue Number D 31616 CN
Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images
Copies SC 757511
Scope and Content West Lodge, Cluny Castle, Highland This shows the tooled ashlar south and west elevations of the west lodge which was built between 1830 and 1840. The pointed-headed first-floor windows, the string-course (moulding below roof), and the square crenellated (battlement-style) chimney-stacks all combine to give the lodge a miniature castle appearance. Gatehouses were located around the estate perimeter and were occupied by the servant and his family who opened and closed the gates leading to the country house. The buildings were designed to hint at the quality of the architecture of the main house or constructed in an architectural style favoured by the owner of the estate. Cluny Castle was built in 1805 for the Macphersons of Cluny and stands on the site of an earlier castle which was destroyed by fire in 1746. William Laidlaw Carruthers, Inverness, designed the north-west wing and the Queen Anne Revival-style porch c.1890. Many of the estate buildings were also built when the castle was rebuilt, including gate lodges, stables, meal mill, saw mill and walled gardens. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/476604
Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES
Licence Type: Internally Generated
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]