Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view of Canongate looking East, showing Tolbooth and Moray House Insc. "Moray House, Canongate, Edinburgh. 322. AI."

SC 460300

Description General view of Canongate looking East, showing Tolbooth and Moray House Insc. "Moray House, Canongate, Edinburgh. 322. AI."

Catalogue Number SC 460300

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ED 9473

Scope and Content The Canongate, Edinburgh The Canongate was originally a separate burgh that lay outside the walls of the Old Town. Originally, it was linked to the Abbey of Holyrood. The Canongate was less densely populated than the Old Town. It was originally a prosperous burgh and had many fine buildings. On the right lies the entrance to Moray House, built in 1628 for Mary, Dowager Countess of Home. There are gardens behind. Like the rest of the Royal Mile the fortunes of the Canongate have fluctuated from prosperity to decay, though it is once more a thriving thoroughfare. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/460300

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions