Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of Hanover Street elevation

SC 460211

Description View of Hanover Street elevation

Catalogue Number SC 460211

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ED 1731

Scope and Content Clydesdale Bank Building, 29-31 George Street, Edinburgh The former Clydesdale Bank Building, chief Edinburgh office of the Clydesdale Bank, stands at the corner of George Street and Hanover Street. Designed by David Bryce in 1841 for the Edinburgh and Leith Bank, it was extended down Hanover Street in 1847. The Bank is a prime example of David Bryce's Greco-Roman style, with giant Corinthian pilasters all round the upper floors, and pairs of columns set forward from them on the George Street side only. The statue on the left is of King George IV. David Bryce (1803-76), architect, was born in Edinburgh. He worked with William Burn, then the leading architect in Edinburgh, in all styles, but especially in the Gothic. His best public buildings include Fettes College and the Royal Infirmary. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/460211

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions