Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inveraray, Pier, Cross View of South face of Cross

SC 458465

Description Inveraray, Pier, Cross View of South face of Cross

Catalogue Number SC 458465

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 419

Scope and Content South face of Inveraray Cross, Inveraray, Argyll and Bute This late medieval cross may originally have stood at the medieval church of Kilmalieu, but was later erected as the market cross of Old Inveraray. Its base was dismantled about 1775 and it was finally re-erected on its present site in 1839. The cross-head originally had a figure of the Crucified Saviour, which has been cut out. A figure has also been removed from the cusped niche at the top of the shaft. The shaft is carved with plant-scrolls and a hunting scene. An inscription on the north side reads: 'This is the cross of noble men, namely Duncanus MacCowan, Patricius, his son, and Mael-Moire, son of Patricius, who caused this cross to be made'. The cross is a product of the Iona school of stone carving. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/458465

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions