Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inveraray Castle Estate, Cherry Park View of courtyard from North East

SC 458444

Description Inveraray Castle Estate, Cherry Park View of courtyard from North East

Catalogue Number SC 458444

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 19089

Scope and Content View of courtyard from the north-east, Cherry Park, Inveraray estate, Argyll and Bute John Adam (1721-92) began work on Cherry Park in 1760 but only one range was roofed before the 3rd Duke of Argyll died in 1761. The 5th Duke commissioned William Mylne (1734-90) to alter and complete the court and it was finished by 1772. The west range (right) was converted in the late 19th century from a dairy to a two-storeyed house. The original partitions survive at ground level. When the ranges were built, only the corner pavilions were two-storeyed. The courtyard walls are mainly of rubble with the remains of harling. The south range (left) was used to accommodate coaches but is now sub-divided for use as the estate office. All the ranges have been extensively altered internally. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions