Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inveraray Castle Estate, Aray Bridge View of bridge from North

SC 458259

Description Inveraray Castle Estate, Aray Bridge View of bridge from North

Catalogue Number SC 458259

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 19151 CN

Scope and Content View of Aray Bridge over the River Aray from the north, Inveraray estate, Argyll and Bute John, 5th Duke of Argyll (1723-1806), inherited Inveraray in 1770, and was responsible for continuing the work of the 3rd Duke. In 1772 the 'King's Bridge' dating to 1757, 250m south-east of the castle, was destroyed by a spate. Robert Mylne (1733-1814), who already held a contract to design bridges for the military authorities, surveyed the bridge immediately, producing a plan for the new one. Although it was a public enterprise, the 5th Duke contributed ideas to Mylne's design. The bridge consists of two segmental arches supported on a central pier with triangular cutwaters. The abutment-piers have semi-octagonal cutwaters. There are sections of balustrade in the centre of the parapets and above the abutment-piers. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/458259

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions