Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

View of North face of Mercat Cross, Inveraray.

AG 464

Description View of North face of Mercat Cross, Inveraray.

Date 1964

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number AG 464

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 458466

Scope and Content Inveraray Cross from the east, Inveraray, Argyll and Bute This late medieval cross may originally have stood at the medieval church of Kilmalieu, but was later erected as the market cross of Old Inveraray. Its base was dismantled about 1775 and it was finally re-erected on its present site in 1839. In the centre of the cross-head there is a foliated cross, which includes a fantastic quadruped on the left arm. On the top arm there is a much-worn figure of St Michael and his dragon. The shaft is carved with plant-stems and plaitwork. An inscription on the north side reads: 'This is the cross of noble men, namely Duncanus MacCowan, Patricius, his son, and Mael-Moire, son of Patricius, who caused this cross to be made'. The cross is a product of the Iona school of stone carving. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference CC1

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/457715

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions