Inveraray Castle Estate, Carloonan, Dovecot View of dovecot showing entrance
B 19102 CN
Description Inveraray Castle Estate, Carloonan, Dovecot View of dovecot showing entrance
Date c. 1988
Collection Records of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), Edinbu
Catalogue Number B 19102 CN
Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images
Copies SC 458408
Scope and Content Dovecot at Carloonan, Inveraray estate, Argyll and Bute Archibald, 3rd Duke of Argyll, who succeeded to the title in 1743, was responsible for replacing the 15th-century Inveraray Castle with the present castle. He also initiated the removal of the town of Inveraray half a mile south to a new site. This circular dovecot was one of the first two buildings to be built in the policies of the 3rd Duke. Roger Morris (1695-1749) designed it in 1747 and it was completed in 1748 by the mason, William Douglas (b.1736) at a cost of £53. Dovecots were a necessary feature of most Scottish estates as pigeons provided fresh meat with which to vary the monotonous winter diet of salted meat. Dovecots were unusual in the Highlands due to the lack of corn, which was needed to feed the birds. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/456048
Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES
Licence Type: Internally Generated
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]