Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Some of our data services may be unavailable for a short period of time on Tuesday the 27th of March. This is due to essential maintenance.

St Machar's Cathedral. View of E gable from SE.

SC 447496

Description St Machar's Cathedral. View of E gable from SE.

Catalogue Number SC 447496

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of D 47151 CN

Scope and Content St Machar's Cathedral, Aberdeen The existing Cathedral is probably the fourth church on this site and mostly dates to the 15th century. It was damaged during the Reformation and ransacked by Cromwell's troops for stone to fortify Castlehill in 1650. The steeple collapsed in 1688. The areas of red sandstone are the earliest surviving remains of St Machar's. Situated at the east end of the cathedral, they were the work of Bishop Alexander Kinninmund who took over in 1355. He pulled down the existing nave and rebuilt it. The western piers of the crossing, the central space in the nave, seen in the centre of the image would have been part of the structural support of the central tower. The south aisle respond, a half-pier which carries one end of an arch is to the left. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions