Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Taymouth Castle. 1st. floor, Chinese drawing-room, view from East.

SC 447116

Description Taymouth Castle. 1st. floor, Chinese drawing-room, view from East.

Date 8/9/1997

Catalogue Number SC 447116

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of D 21773 CN

Scope and Content Chinese Drawing Room from east, Taymouth Castle, Perth & Kinross This shows the Chinese Drawing Room where the family would have entertained guests, along with the ante-room visible through the doorway in the centre. The canopy over this doorway is similar in style to the overmantel canopy above the fireplace on the right. The canopies both have a pair of stags who are Breadalbane 'supporters', from their coat of arms, at each side holding crests of the inter-connecting families. Francis Bernasconi modelled the plasterwork in the castle between 1809 and 1812 and John Gregory Crace painted the ornate ceiling, in this room in a style influenced by late medieval manuscript illuminations. The Chinese Drawing Room was one of the main state rooms which were located on the first floor of the main block. The décor of this room was designed to create a feeling of comfort and also to show the status and distinguished cultural tastes of the family. The ladies would retire to this room after dinner and drink tea or coffee prepared by the housekeeper. Taymouth Castle was built for the Campbells of Breadalbane and stands on the site of Balloch Castle, which was built c.1550. Taymouth's main block, built between 1802 and 1810, was designed by James Elliot (1770-1810) and the east wing, built between 1818 and 1821, was designed by William Atkinson (c.1773-1839). The west pavilion, built in the early 18th century, was designed by William Adam (1689-1748) and was altered by James Gillespie Graham (1777-1855). The castle was visited by Queen Victoria in 1842. The Mactaggart family bought the estate in 1922 and converted the castle into a hotel and the deer park into a golf course. The castle was a convalescent home during World War II and has had several uses until c.1983 when it became unoccupied. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions