Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Troon, Ballast Bank View from W of W end of bank

SC 444470

Description Troon, Ballast Bank View from W of W end of bank

Date 1974

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 444470

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Ballast Bank, Troon Harbour, Ayrshire Troon Harbour was developed from 1808 by the third Duke of Portland for shipping coal from collieries inland. Until the end of the 19th century most of this trade was carried on in sailing vessels, most of which came in with earth ballast. This view shows the east end of the long bank formed by tipping earth ballast over the best part of a century. The bank was arranged to protect vessels in the harbour from the south westerly gales that are common in the area. The wall protecting the toe of the bank is a popular footpath. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H74/188/6

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/444470

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 444470) Troon, Ballast Bank View from W of W end of bank

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions