Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lybster Station, Platform Building Exterior view of platform side, looking NE

SC 435429

Description Lybster Station, Platform Building Exterior view of platform side, looking NE

Date 1974

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 435429

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Lybster Station, Caithness This was built as the terminus of the Wick and Lybster Light Railway, the most northerly light railway in Britain, which was built to serve fishing villages along the Caithness coast during the herring boom. This view shows the remains of the passenger station, with its wooden building and platform edge, and the agent's house beyond. The area under the platform canopy has been covered in, but otherwise the station building is intact. This line was closed in 1944, by which time the fishing industry in the area was almost extinct. The stations on the line have survived well. Only Lybster had a separate goods shed. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H74/139/9

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/435429

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) Papers of Professor John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland

> Item Level (SC 435429) Lybster Station, Platform Building Exterior view of platform side, looking NE

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions