Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glengarnock Steelworks, Melting Shop, interior

SC 434564

Description Glengarnock Steelworks, Melting Shop, interior

Date 1974

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 434564

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Melting shop, Glengarnock Steelworks, Glengarnock, Ayrshire Glengarnock Works was established in 1840 as an iron-smelting works by Alison, Merry & Cunninghame, It began making steel by the Bessemer process in 1884. This melting shop was added during the 1914-18 war to make shell steel. This view shows one of the open hearth furnaces from the charging side These were replacements for the 1916-18 furnaces, and were oil (not gas) fired and had water-cooled doors. The open hearth process was used until the late 1970s to produce high quality structural steel. It was supplanted by the basic oxygen process which was quicker and more fuel efficient. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H74/80/14

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/434564

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 434564) Glengarnock Steelworks, Melting Shop, interior

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions