Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Scan of loose print of St Margaret's Well (general view).

SC 431757

Description Scan of loose print of St Margaret's Well (general view).

Catalogue Number SC 431757

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content St Margaret's Well, Holyrood Park, City of Edinburgh Originally this well-house stood in Restalrig, near Leith, but it was covered over when the North British Railway was built. In 1860 it was dismantled and re-erected in the Park by the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. The well-house is a fine 15th-century building with detailed rib-vaulting and bosses inside, though it has a somewhat dank aspect today. Nearby, on the slopes above, a hollow marks the location of St David's Well, one of the original Park springs. The Park originally had seven sweet springs and there is a long tradition of brewing with their water. The 12th-century monks at Holyrood Abbey had a brewery and in 19th and 20th centuries industrial brewing took place. Private brewing still continues. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/431757

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions