Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior. View of cellars discovered during excavations for the Thistle Chapel

SC 426662

Description Interior. View of cellars discovered during excavations for the Thistle Chapel

Date 1900 to 1930

Collection Francis M Chrystal

Catalogue Number SC 426662

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ED 7312

Scope and Content Excavation for the Thistle Chapel, St Giles' Cathedral, High Street, Edinburgh The Thistle Chapel, added to St Giles in 1911 by Robert Lorimer, is the private chapel for the Order of the Thistle. It is the most ornate building of its type built in Scotland since the Middle Ages. The undercroft of James III's mint was found in front of the present east door of the Chapel during excavations in 1910. Cellars were discovered as well as part of the old kirkyard. The Order of the Thistle, Scotland's oldest Order of Chivalry, founded in the 15th century by James III, is given to distinguished Scots for services to the nation. Its permanent home for religious ceremonies is in the Thistle Chapel at St Giles. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/426662

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 64) Francis M Chrystal

> Item Level (SC 426662) Interior. View of cellars discovered during excavations for the Thistle Chapel

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Francis M Chrystal Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions