Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior. General view of vaulting in Albany Aisle

SC 426655

Description Interior. General view of vaulting in Albany Aisle

Catalogue Number SC 426655

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ED 644

Scope and Content Albany Aisle in St Giles' Cathedral, High Street, Edinburgh The High Kirk of St Giles has been a central feature of the Old Town for nearly 800 years. Its central tower with open crown forms a distinctive feature of the sky-line of the city. The Albany Aisle, added to St Giles c.1410 by Robert, Duke of Albany and Archibald, fourth Earl of Douglas, has fine pointed tunnel-vaulting with surface ribs, characteristic of Scottish late medieval architecture. The Albany Aisle, one of several chapels added to St Giles in the 15th and 16th centuries, was built c.1410 by the Duke of Albany and the Earl of Douglas in expiation of their crime of starving to death the Duke of Rothesay, heir to the throne, in 1402. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/426655

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions