Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view of steeple from roof of National Library

SC 426640

Description General view of steeple from roof of National Library

Catalogue Number SC 426640

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ED 2162

Scope and Content Crown of St Giles' Cathedral, High Street, Edinburgh The High Kirk of St Giles has been a central feature of the Old Town for nearly 800 years. Its central tower with open crown forms a distinctive feature of the sky-line of the city. The open crown tower supported by eight flying buttresses was built in 1495 and repaired in the 17th century. Its rough rubble walls are the only medieval part of the church visible from the outside. The gold weathercock dates from 1567. In 1571 Kirkcaldy of Grange used the tower of St Giles for five months as a stronghold while trying to hold the castle for Mary Queen of Scots. He fortified the tower and broke loop-holes in the vaulting to allow his soldiers to fire more freely. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/426640

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions