Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Detail of West door.

SC 426638

Description Detail of West door.

Catalogue Number SC 426638

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ED 9154

Scope and Content West door of St Giles' Cathedral, High Street, Edinburgh The High Kirk of St Giles, dedicated to St Giles by the Bishop of St Andrews in 1243, has been the central feature of the Old Town for nearly 800 years. Its central tower with open crown forms a distinctive feature of the sky-line of the city. The west door has 12 carved figures by John Rhind on either side of the archway representing kings, queens and clergy associated with St Giles. Above the door is a carving of St Giles with arrow and hind. St Giles or Egidius, patron of cripples, beggars and lepers, was a 6th century Greek hermit who lived in Provence. He was crippled by an arrow while protecting a hind hunted by the Goths. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/426638

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions