Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunyvaig Castle, Lagavulin Bay, Islay. View from North West.

SC 423755

Description Dunyvaig Castle, Lagavulin Bay, Islay. View from North West.

Catalogue Number SC 423755

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 14442

Scope and Content View from north-west showing Dunyvaig Castle, Islay, Argyll and Bute The remains of Dunyvaig Castle stand on Islay's south coast, just south of Lagavulin. First mentioned in the late 14th century, the castle has been owned by the MacDonalds of Dunivaig, by royal garrisons and by the Campbell Earls of Argyll until 1677. This shows the remains of a three- or four-storeyed buildings which stands on a rocky knoll to the south of the main castle courtyard (centre). Just to the right of this can be seen the remains of a sea-gate which led to a boat-landing on the shore. Most of the visible remains date from the 16th-17th centuries. The walls are of lime-mortared rubble, with the buildings in the courtyard being of drystone construction and now covered with turf. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/423755

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions